Find articles from my Blog Archive:

Tuesday 3 January 2012

How I approach Twiiter


My "Twitter creed":
  • NO AGENDA.  I try not to tell people what to think.   I have no monopoly on truth, so can only offer things I find interesting and hope the reader reaches their own conclusions.  It's a tough line sometimes, but you know when you’ve crossed it and your tweets come across as being part of the thought police.  This doesn’t mean I can’t have an opinion (not having one would make me boring, by the way) but there’s a big difference between expressing that opinion in a way that explains what I think/why and expressing it in a way that implies that everyone should think the same or else they are an idiot.  There are exceptions to this rule – expressing strong support for a campaign against racism or injustice, for example.  I tweet things I find interesting and which I think others might also find interesting,  I try not to have an agenda – I’m not trying to influence what others think, to imply they should agree with certain views or to belittle anyone that holds different opinions.  I try to just offer things that stimulate my brain and which others might also find interesting. 
  • STAY POSITIVE.  Life is hard enough without our Twitter feeds being filled with negativity.  I think its good to go by the rule “if you haven’t got anything positive to say, don’t say anything.” I try only to tweet positively – things I like, things I find interesting, things I find uplifting.  Having a twitter stream of ‘product x is rubbish’ or ‘company y stinks’ isn’t an uplifting experience, so I try not to do it.  I like my twitter stream to be uplifting, so try my best to make others that way by not tweeting negatively about things I don’t like.  I don’t see twitter as a steam valve for me to vent about things that annoy me – at times its tempting, but I’d hardly present a compelling public image if I tweet about every tiny thing that irritates me (hint: there are lots of those, so be grateful for my restraint!).
  • SPEAK TO EVERYONE.  I try not to tweet in-jokes or comments aimed at a subset of my followers that others might not understand.  Reading things you don’t understand just makes you feel stupid.  I’m sure I’m not alone in not liking that feeling, so I try not to do it to others.  I try to make my tweets accessible and not selective.  Twitter is public place, so I try to reflect that by speaking to anyone and everyone that might be listening.
  •  HAVE SUBSTANCE. As a general rule, if I can’t think why anyone would be interested I don’t tweet it – so I try not to tweet along the lines of “I put the kettle on” or “the cat just yawned”.  I follow lots of interesting people, so have what I consider a large tweet stream.  I like my stream to be full of interesting things, not trivia that needlessly pads it even further.  I try to respect others twitter streams by not tweeting trivia.  The definition of trivia can be elastic though - some seemingly trivial items can sometimes be interesting if they show an unexpected side to somebody, but I think its usually straightforward to decide if something might be interesting or not. 
I am not perfect.  I’m pretty sure I’ve broken all four rules.  I try to adhere to these guidelines but will inevitably stray from time-to-time, so I apologise ahead of time.  But I try - and the four guidelines are how I try to behave on Twitter.  I'm not suggesting everyone has to follow these rules (see rule 1) but offer them as an explanation for how I've decided to approach Twitter.


No comments :

Post a Comment